Many people dream with becoming a creative director in a successful agency, but very few actually achieve this dream. I gathered 5 things you need to do in order to get there, all from a Bristol Production Company.
- Innovate. Creative directors need to come up with great ideas, it’s in the name, be creative. Look back at the work you’ve done and be proud, but move on, change. You will have to identify the best ideas and make sure they are developed in the right space.
- Inspire your team. You are in charge of a group of professionals who will help you with ideas and take them into action. Your role is to inspire them, to keep the ideas flowing and create a positive atmosphere. You also need to be able to listen and take in other’s ideas, and trust these ideas. This doesn’t mean all ideas are great, if you don’t see an idea working or being fruitful, kill it. These decisions will allow your team to go deeper with the remaining ideas, making them richer and more effective.
- Hire someone better than you. Don’t be afraid of not being the best in the room, as David Ogilvy said “If you hire giants, you will build a company of giants. If you hire pygmies you will build a company of pygmies.”
- Pitch Dynamically. In this job, you will have to do a lot of pitching to clients. A great creative director will bring their idea to life without actually doing so. Don’t let these get boring, you will have to do at least one for each project, you don’t want your clients to have to work too hard to imagine what’s in your head.
- Love your job. If you don’t enjoy what you do every day, the work you and your team produce won’t be any good. You have to be passionate about it in order for your team to be as well. Help create an environment where people enjoy their work.
Now go out there are be great!
By Elena Barcelo / Artswork Media Team Member